Summary: A lesson warning us that our focus in life will determine our destiny and our reward: - what Jesus will say to us when we see him face to face! What are you looking for & Where are you looking For iT?
A. The Sermon on the Mount Is About The Heart
1. OT Fulfillment (5.17-48)
a. Jesus took 6 OT laws and interpreted them for His disciples in the light of the new life He came to give.
b. He dealt with the attitudes and intents of the heart and not simply with the external act as the Pharisees dealt.
c. The Pharisees taught that righteousness centered around performing certain actions, while Jesus taught it centered around the attitude of the heart.
2. Our Heart Exposes Our Motive and Focus (Chapter 6)
a. The person with True Righteousness shows this in their daily activities.
b. Jesus related this principle in (6:1-18) to our closeness with God in the motive behind certain acts of Righteousness (charity, prayer, fasting)
c. Today in (6:19-24), He relates this principle to our priorities in life (material possessions)
B. What Are You Looking For in Life?
1. Jesus gives us a test that indirectly asks the question:
What Are You Looking For in Life?
2. A lesson warning us that our focus in life will determine our destiny:
- what Jesus will say to us when we see him face to face!
3. Are you looking for earthly treasure or heavenly treasure
What are you looking for & Where are you looking For iT?
ILLUSTRATION: “WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?”
There’s an old story of a man who was walking at night, and saw another man searching for something near a lamp post. Approaching, he asked the man what he was looking for, and the man, without looking up, replied, “My watch”.
The first man asked, “Well, precisely where were you standing when you dropped it?” Continuing his search, the man pointed a finger in the distance and said, “Over there somewhere.” The first man, puzzled for a moment, then said, “Well then sir, why are you looking for it here?” Finally looking up in frustration and meeting the first man’s gaze, the searcher replied testily, “Because sir, the light is better here!”
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR IN LIFE & WHERE ARE YOU LOOKING?
TEXT IS FOUND IN MATTHEW 6:19-24
I. YOUR FOCUS DETERMINES WHAT YOU TAKE TO ETERNITY
Jesus begins by reminding the disciples that our focus in life determines what we take to eternity!
1. "treasures" is used 18 times in NT and each time, whether figurative or literal, it describes a "deposit" - something "stored" for later use.
2. One "Deposit" is Stolen: "moth" eats cloth and "rust" destroys metal;
3. Thieves are not always easy to recognize.
- "thieves" = petty, sneak thief: - i.e. the shoplifter.
- (can’t see moth or rust happening – only the results)
VERSE 20 – This “Deposit” is Not Stolen
A. How about your "money"?
- Who has control - you or God? One simple test - Do you tithe?
- It’s a matter of the heart! GOOD! It certainly is (you’re catching on!
But I EARNED it!
Who gave you your health, personality, skills, ability –
The Tithe was begun (not as an OT Law) but to recognize one’s dependency & appreciation on God b/cause all comes from Him.
Abraham - Gen 14 - 400 years before the OT Law
Jacob in Gen 28 - again, way before the OT Law