Summary: This was another message in a series entitles, “What do you believe, and why?” and this message was based on Rev. 20 and Paul’s farewell to Ephesian elders in Acts 20.
This is the 6th message in series, "What do you believe, and why?"
> Paul’s farewell to Ephesian elders = [Acts 20.17-27] = Focus on v.27
- This series = The necessity of preaching "the whole counsel of God"
- 1st Message - 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
- 2nd Message - Literally, to obey the Great Commission = Matt. 28.18-20 = Make disciples, baptize them and then "teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you"
- 3rd Message - Practical implication of obeying the Great Commission = Joining the church = The importance of the local, visible, New Testament church = Acts 2.37-41
- Esp. in our last message stressed how within the context of the church Christ’s desire is that we move from being believers to becoming disciples = [Acts 2.42]
- 4th Message = Coinciding with our 189th Anniversary
- Examining our original "Church Articles of Faith"
- Demonstrating in word and deed that we were a GOSPEL church
- Comparison and contrast to today = That we still ARE a Gospel church
Points we have covered:
TRINITY = 1. we believe there is but one living and true god; and that there are three persons in the god-head; the father, the son, the holy ghost, and these are one in nature, being equal in power and glory.
INSPIRATION AND AUTHORITY OF SCRIPTURES = 2. we believe the scriptures of the old and new testament are given by inspiration of god and are therefore his word and the only rule of faith and practice.
SINFULNESS OF HUMANITY = 3. we believe in the original depravity of man and man fell into sin by his own free will ability.
BLOOD ATONEMENT = 4. we believe the eternal redemption which christ obtained by his blood is, special and particular, that is, it was intentionally designed for the elect of god and the body of christ.
Last week we covered:
ONLY BORN AGAIN EXHIBIT CERTAIN GIFTS / FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT = 5. we believe that evangelical or spiritual love, faith, hope, and repentance are fruits and gifts of the holy spirit and are expressed in no one except those that are born again.
SANCTIFICATION (three aspects) = 6. we believe sanctification is a work of the spirit, begun at regeneration and carried on until death; therefore it is progressive.
ETERNAL SECURITY OF THE BELIEVER = 7. we believe that everyone that is redeemed, regenerated, and justified shall persevere in grace to glory so that not one of them can ever perish, but will, through the grace of christ, be glorified in heaven.
Tonight con’t along lines of thoughts with next two points in 1815 document = 8 + 9
- Once again demonstrating that we still hold to these basic beliefs
- Using Scripture and Scipture refernces which are representative, NOT exhaustive.
8. WE BELIEVE IN THE RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD, BOTH OF THE JUST AND UNJUST, AND THAT CHRIST WILL COME AGAIN TO JUDGE BOTH THE QUICK AND THE DEAD, AND THAT HE WILL TAKE VENGEANCE ON THE WICKED AND SENTENCE THEM TO EVERLASTING PUNISHMENT, BUT THE RIGHTEOUS TO LIFE ETERNAL.
Interestingly we do not place this under "Eschatology"
- But rather under "Soteriology"
- Many place these same thoughts under Eschatology = "The Doctrine of Last Times" = Emphasize end of time / beginning of eternity
- What does placing it under "Soteriology" emphasize? = "The Doctrine of Salvation"
- "D. After Death" = a. We believe in the bodily resurrection of all men in two separate parts: the saved to eternal life and the unsaved to judgement and everlasting punishment.
> John 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, 29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
> Matt. 25:31-46
9. WE BELIEVE THAT THE PREACHING OF THE GOSPEL IS AN APPOINTMENT OF GOD TO BE CONTINUED TO THE END OF THE WORLD...
...AND THAT NO MINISTER HAS A RIGHT TO ADMINISTER GOSPEL ORDINANCES EXCEPT THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN CALLED AND HAVE COME UNDER THE INSPECTION OF THE HANDS OF THE PRESBYTERY. <<< deal with this portion first
Implication = Only a pastor of a church = Why?
- "Ecclesiology: The Doctrine of the Local Church"
- C. We believe the ordinances given to the local church are two - Baptism by total immersion in water... > Acts 8.37-38
> Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: