Summary: This was another message in a series entitles, “What do you believe, and why?” and this message was based on Rev. 20 and Paul’s farewell to Ephesian elders in Acts 20.
This is the 6th message in series, "What do you believe, and why?"
- This series = The necessity of preaching "the whole counsel of God"
- 1st Message - 2 Timothy 3:16 (quickview)  All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
- 2nd Message - Literally, to obey the Great Commission = Matt. 28.18-20 = Make disciples, baptize them and then "teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you"
- 4th Message = Coinciding with our 189th Anniversary
- Examining our original "Church Articles of Faith"
- Demonstrating in word and deed that we were a GOSPEL church
- Comparison and contrast to today = That we still ARE a Gospel church
Points we have covered:
TRINITY = 1. we believe there is but one living and true god; and that there are three persons in the god-head; the father, the son, the holy ghost, and these are one in nature, being equal in power and glory.
INSPIRATION AND AUTHORITY OF SCRIPTURES = 2. we believe the scriptures of the old and new testament are given by inspiration of god and are therefore his word and the only rule of faith and practice.
SINFULNESS OF HUMANITY = 3. we believe in the original depravity of man and man fell into sin by his own free will ability.
BLOOD ATONEMENT = 4. we believe the eternal redemption which christ obtained by his blood is, special and particular, that is, it was intentionally designed for the elect of god and the body of christ.
Last week we covered:
ONLY BORN AGAIN EXHIBIT CERTAIN GIFTS / FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT = 5. we believe that evangelical or spiritual love, faith, hope, and repentance are fruits and gifts of the holy spirit and are expressed in no one except those that are born again.
SANCTIFICATION (three aspects) = 6. we believe sanctification is a work of the spirit, begun at regeneration and carried on until death; therefore it is progressive.
ETERNAL SECURITY OF THE BELIEVER = 7. we believe that everyone that is redeemed, regenerated, and justified shall persevere in grace to glory so that not one of them can ever perish, but will, through the grace of christ, be glorified in heaven.
Tonight con’t along lines of thoughts with next two points in 1815 document = 8 + 9
- Once again demonstrating that we still hold to these basic beliefs
- Using Scripture and Scipture refernces which are representative, NOT exhaustive.
8. WE BELIEVE IN THE RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD, BOTH OF THE JUST AND UNJUST, AND THAT CHRIST WILL COME AGAIN TO JUDGE BOTH THE QUICK AND THE DEAD, AND THAT HE WILL TAKE VENGEANCE ON THE WICKED AND SENTENCE THEM TO EVERLASTING PUNISHMENT, BUT THE RIGHTEOUS TO LIFE ETERNAL.