Summary: The sermon shares with us the question God maybe asking us, What ever happened to the flee to the altar.
What Ever happened to the Flee? Gen. 19:1-26
God's destruction of the wicked cities of Sodom and Gomorrah is a story that makes a vivid impression on the young. A teacher relating the story to her class was saying, "Lot was warned to take his wife and flee, out of the city which was about to be destroyed. Lot got away safely. His wife looked back and was turned to a pillar of salt. Now, Children, do you have any questions to ask about this story?" A boy raised his hand, "Could you tell us what happened to the flea? “Like the boy asked the teacher God may have asked Lot what happened to the Flee? God asks 4 questions
1st. Question God asks Lot, What ever happened to the flee to the altar?
• There is no sign that Lot built an altar Abraham built an altar at every place he went at East of Bethel, West of Ai, Egypt, Canaan, Negev, and Bethel.
• God tells us, What happens to those who flee to the altar? Hebrews 4:16 . we receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
• God tells those of us who are burdened that if we will flee to the altar Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
• God tells the Afflicted if you will flee to the altar?: Psalm 9:9The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
2nd. Question God asks Lot, What ever happened to the flee from Selfish Choices?
• Gen 13:10Lot looked up and saw that the whole plain of the Jordan was well watered11So Lot chose for himself the whole plain of the Jordan and set out toward the east.
• What happens to those who flee to the righteous choices?
• To those who choose to flee for a hunger Matthew 5:6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled
• To those who flee to choose mercy7Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
• To those who flee to choose purity 8Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
3rd. Question God asks Lot, What ever happened to the flee from an Wicked Environment?
• Lot first lived near Sodom now he lives in the city.Gen.13:11So Lot chose for himself the whole plain of the Jordan and set out toward the east. The two men parted company: 12Abram lived in the land of Canaan, while Lot lived among the cities of the plain and pitched his tents near Sodom. Gen 19:1angels arrived at Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of the city.
• To those who flee to please the Lord Proverbs 16:7When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, he makes even his enemies live at peace with him. Job 36:11If they obey and serve him, they will spend the rest of their days in prosperity and their years in contentment.
• To those who flee to the will of God 1 John 2 :. 17The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.
4th. Question God asks Lot What ever happened to the Flee From the Judgment of God?
• 15With the coming of dawn, the angels urged Lot, saying, "Hurry! Take your wife and your two daughters who are here, or you will be swept away when the city is punished." 16When he hesitated, the men grasped his hand and the hands of his wife and of his two daughters and led them safely out of the city, for the LORD was merciful to them
• What ever happened to the flea? 24Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah. 25Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, including all those living in the cities--and also the vegetation in the land. 26But Lot's wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt. If the flea fled the city of wicked ness he was saved but if he stayed he burned.