Summary: The message shares how faith can move us, open us, deepen us, better us, and challenges us.
What Faith Does? John 20:19-30
God's most faithful servants have usually also been among the most doubtful. It has been well said, a faith that does not doubt is a dead faith. The mark of great faith is a great and continuous struggle to get it, keep it, share it. Theologian Paul Tillich describes faith as “dynamic.” If faith becomes static, if it fails to move us, open us, deepen us, better us, then it is no longer faith. Instead it is an idol; it is simply another idol that we put up on the mantle to worship but with which we don’t actually do anything. What are we doing with our Faith?
1. Faith moves us where we ought to be because we are not where we ought to be
• Our text begins “On the evening of the first day of the week” where should they have been? In church They ought to have been in church but they weren’t
• The text also says, “The doors were locked for fear” Yes again doubt has caused great fear
2. Faith should Open Us
• Faith can open us to all the Possibilities of God (There is nothing impossible with God for with God all things are possible)
• Jesus knew they were afraid that is why he said, “Peace be with you” He was saying, “May you have peace”
3. Faith Can Deepen Us
• Faith can cause us to dig a little deeper into the well of God Love
• Jesus desires the Disciples to dig really deep , he showed them his hands and side. ( They saw nailed scared hands, His side had been pierced) The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord. 21Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you."
• “God sent Jesus now Jesus sends them” you will doubt when your persecuted but when you doubt dig dig deep into the well.
4. Faith Can Better Us
• His disciples had faith but like us all our faith can be better
• What can better their faith? Note the text As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." 22And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. That’s right breath bettered them
• Breath of God bettered Adam he was lifeless but God breathed -- 7the LORD God formed the manE from the dust of the earth and breathed into his nostrils and the man became a living being.
• Job said, The breath of God gives him life
• Ezekiel encountered how faith can better the children of Israel as they were a dry people likened to valley of dry bones , `This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe into these slain, that they may live.' " 10So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet--a vast army.
5. Faith Moves us, Faith Opens us, Faith deepens us, Faith betters Us, and Faith challenges Us
• Faith Challenges us to have faith even in the face of despair
• Faith challenges us LOVE in the face of hatred
• Faith challenges us keep Peace in the face of violence