Summary: This sermon explores 13 character traits about God. In order to better worship Him, we must have a better understanding of What He is Like.
(Dynamics of Worship Series)
What is God Like? (part 1 of 2)
Last week, we looked at answering what worship is from the perspective of the bible
We saw that Jesus desires worshippers of Spirit and Truth and there must be a balance of these in order to truly worship
God desires our worship but how can we worship if we don’t know What God is like?
False gods or inadequate views of the one true God can nullify even the most sincere efforts to worship
The cult member has a twisted perception of God’s Character
An idolater fails to see how inadequate his god is compared to the greatness of the God of Scripture
A materialist holds on to the god that Jesus called Mammon, instead of the God who offers treasures in heaven that are priceless (Matt 6:24)
Read passage / Jesus says we are to worship God alone and serve only Him but in order to do that we must ask “What is God like” that we can worship Him?
Trans: Throughout Scriptures, God has clearly revealed to us what He is like...Look at 13 attritubes that tell us what God is like…First 7 today..
1. GOD IS PERSONAL
He is not, as some describe Him, an impersonal force
He possesses all the qualities of personality such as:
• Intelligence – several verses…just a couple here
o 1 Cor 1:19 – The intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate
o 1 Cor 2:16 – Who can counsel the Lord?
o Laughter – Psa 37:13 – the Lord laughs at the wicked
o Tears – Luk 19:40 – Jesus approached Jerusalem He wept over it
o Anger – Numb 12:9 – Anger of the Lord burned against complaining Israel
o Love – John 3:16 – God so loved the world
• Self-determining will
o Isa 46:10 “I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’
2. GOD WAS FLESH
• He knew what it was like to live like a man…struggles of the flesh
o Matt 1:23 – Emmanuel, God with us
o John 1:14 – The Word became flesh and dwelt among us
3. GOD IS SPIRIT
• Jesus taught us that God cannot be contained or limited by physical forms or buildings
o John 4:21-24 – God is Spirit…worshippers worship in Spirit & Truth
o 2 Chron 24:20 – Spirit of God came upon Zechariah
• As Spirit, He does not exist in a body that can be seen or touched
• Therefore, He must not be reduced to a physical image of any kind
4. GOD IS ETERNAL
• It is mind boggling to think that God has always existed
o Psa 90:2 – From everlasting to everlasting You are God
o Heb 1:12 – You remain the same…Your years will never end
o Rev 1:18 – I am the Alpha & Omega…I am alive forever and ever!
• God will never have an end
• He is for every generation of worshippers, the EVERLIVING ONE
5. GOD IS ALL-KNOWING – (Omniscient)
• He is unlimited in His knowledge…His knowledge is complete
• He knows all things past, present, and future
• He knows individuals; people’s sin; people’s actions; those that are His;
• There is nothing hidden from Him
• Too many verses to list…couple
o Isa 40:13 – Who can counsel the Lord or comprehend His mind?
o Jer 17:10 – I the Lord search the heart & examine the mind
o Matt 11:26 – nothing concealed/hidden that will not be made known
o Rom 11:34 – Who has known the mind of the Lord?
• He knows everything there is to know about us, our world, the universe
• His knowledge is not hindered by locked doors, darkness, or distant places
6. GOD IS ALL-POWERFUL – (Omnipotent)
• He can do anything He chooses to do
o Psa 115:3 – Our God in heaven…does whatever pleases Him
• He spoke the universe into being – contains over 100 billion galaxies
o Jer 32:17 – Sovereign Lord, You have made the heavens & earth by Your great power. Nothing is too hard for You!
o Gen 18:14 – Is anything too hard for the Lord?
• He gives life to the dead…make possible what seems impossible
o Matt 19:26 – With man this is impossible, with God all things are possible
• No army, no government, or civilization can frustrate His purposes
7. GOD IS PRESENT EVERYWHERE – (Omnipresent)
• There is no hiding or escaping – no way to avoid Him
• No locked room or secret meeting place can keep Him out
• No matter where you go in the Universe…God is there