Summary: Everybody seems to have an excuse why they can’t or don’t serve the Lord!
A man who bought a brand new Mercedes and got out on the interstate. It was a convertible and the top was down, the breeze was blowing through his hair, and he decided he would open it up to see what it could do. The needle hit 80 miles an hour, then 90, then 100, then 110, then 120, even 130. All of the sudden, he looked up in his rearview mirror and there was that flashing red and blue light right behind him.
He said to himself, “They can’t catch this Mercedes.” He got it up to 150 mph, but the lights were still behind him. He thought to himself, “I’m going to be in big trouble if I don’t pull over.” So he did.
Well, the police officer came up to him, took his license without saying a word, examined it, looked at the car and then said, ‘Mister, I’ve been working all night and this is my last pullover, and I’m exhausted. I don’t feel like filling out more paperwork, so I’m going to make you an offer. If you can give me an excuse for driving the way you were driving that I have never heard in my 27 year career, I’ll let you go.”
The man thought fast and said, “Well, officer, last week my wife ran off with a police officer, and I was afraid that it was you trying to give her back!” The officer said, “Have a nice night.”
Luke 14:18-20 (quickview) -But they all with one accord began to make excuses. The first said to him, ‘I have bought a piece of ground, and I must go and see it. I ask you to have me excused.’
And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I am going to test them. I ask you to have me excused.’
Still another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.’
Three things that hinder people from following God.
I have bought a piece of ground, I must needs go see it... MATERIALISM
The following is the philosophy of Charles Schultz , the creator of the ’Peanuts’ comic strip.
You don’t have to actually answer the questions below. Just read straight through, and you’ll get the point.
1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3. Name the last five winners of Miss America .
4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and actress.
6. Name the last decade’s worth of World Series winners.
How did you do?
The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners .
Here’s another quiz. See how you do on this one:
1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
Easier? The lesson:
The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care .