Summary: Even though God can do all things It is you and I that He used to accomplish the things that need to be done.
What Makes God Smile?
Have you ever wondered that if something you said
• Or something you did made God smile?
• I know as a parent there are things that my children have done
• that make me smile.
• At the same time there are something’s that my children say
• that would cause just about anyone to smile,
• children can be that way sometimes.
• On the last day of school, children were bringing gifts to their teacher.
• The florist’s son brought the teacher a bouquet.
• The candy storeowner’s son brought the teacher a pretty box of candy.
• Then the liquor storeowner’s son brought in a big, heavy box.
• The teacher lifted it up and noticed that it was leaking a bit.
• She touched a drop of liquid with her finger and tasted it. “Is it wine?’ she guessed.
• “No” said the boy.
• She tasted another drop, “Champagne?”
• “No,” said the little boy. “It’s a puppy!”
Eph 5:8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light Eph 5:9 (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth)
Eph 5:10 and find out what pleases the Lord. Eph 5:11 Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.
Today I want to focus on that little command you find in verse 10,
• For us to find out WHAT PLEASES GOD!
• In the NIV Strong’s Concordance the word pleasure is listed 20 or so times
• BUT most of them are talking about what God would NOT see
• as something that would bring Him pleasure.
• However, if we go to the Living Bible we see that there is one man
• that was a pleasure to God, that would be Noah.
• The NIV says: Gen 6:8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.
• And the Living Version says: Gen 6:8 But Noah was a pleasure to the Lord.
• It is important to look at the word BUT in both of these versions before we go any further,
• the Word BUT is there because just prior to this verse the Bible tells us
• that God was disgusted with what He had created,
Ge 6:5 The LORD saw how great man’s wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.
Ge 6:6 The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain. Ge 6:7 So the LORD said, “I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth—men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air—for I am grieved that I have made them.”
• BUT, Noah was a PLEASURE to the Lord!
• Think about this for a moment
• In the midst of the wickedness and the evil,
• God looks down and sees this one man and says,
• “Hey, Noah is alright”
• “Yeah, that Noah has his act together, he makes me smile!”