Summary: If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go with others
“When the calling is clear, walk away from the castle”
When reality sets in: Leaving security for possibility
- Leaving comfortable gig to join a VC firm, hoping to be on the frontline of virtual reality and artificial intelligence boom that’s coming—being a person of faith in that influential arena
- Embracing being a mom of a blended family. Might not seem as sexy but there’s nothing more important than being the MOST INFLUENTIAL figure in children’s lives
- Favor with these influencers—I need to be able to have a elevator pitch for this, or this one, depending on which doors God opens (Graeme example)
Your story will be completely unique to you.
Be in the season you’re in.
Leaped, now making sure you’re thinking about things right
The journey of Nehemiah is incredibly useful to use thousands of years later. That’s why I believe God saw to it that these memoirs were preserved.
1. Invite support
And because the gracious hand of my God was on me, the king granted my requests…I went to Jerusalem, and after staying there three days I set out during the night with a few others. I had not told anyone what my God had put in my heart to do for Jerusalem…By night I went out through the Valley Gate toward the Jackal Well and the Dung Gate, examining the walls of Jerusalem, which had been broken down, and its gates, which had been destroyed by fire… The officials did not know where I had gone or what I was doing, because as yet I had said nothing to the Jews or the priests or nobles or officials or any others who would be doing the work. Nehemiah 2:8,11-13,16
…continues to prepare… examine… think through…
I set out during the night with a few others
Importance of a few
If you want to go fast, go alone
If you want to go far, go with others
We don’t see a wide enough spectrum
- our vision is small
- we need the perspectives of others
The perspective of others help us see a broader perspective—a large view, closer to God’s view
- see differently than me
- see me like I can’t see myself
Nehemiah was influenced by people
He wasn’t an expert
He took their input
Personal board of directors
These people don’t give you permission (favor/blessing, last week)…these group gives you GUIDANCE
Life Group <
Group of Six / Core Team / Personal board
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others. Proverbs 12:15 (NLT)
What do you need?
Who are my FEW?
Without good direction, people lose their way; the more wise counsel you follow, the better your chances. Proverbs 11:14 (MSG)
You don’t need their blessing… but you want their wisdom.
We want to help you build your personal board—connect with a few.