Summary: Americans struggle with who they are. If they would only listen to God and see who He has made them to be.
Who are you? Who has God made you to be?
Spiritual Gift assessment
Identity crises – mid-life crises – my own identity crisis
- James Dobson – Straight Talk
God has made you – we are the crown of God’s creation – very good
Sin spoiled but 2 Corinthians 5:17 – Anyone who is in Christ is a new creation
1 Corinthians 12:12-20 – What is Paul getting at?
– multifarious gifts
- can’t exclude yourself or think that your gifts are not important
– everyone is important – use your gifts
– when you don’t it is like a body without a nose or an eye or a hand – it doesn’t work like it is supposed to
1 Corinthians 12:21-24 – What is Paul getting at here?
– We, on the other hand, can’t look down on others for their unique gifts which we don’t necessarily appreciate.
- No, he goes farther and says that those who have unique gifts should be exalted
- Porn pastors – when we have issues with others shows our own inadequacies
1 Corinthians 12:25-26 – What is Paul getting at here?
– We all need each other – Prof Schumacher – missionary in Africa – They had a saying “We are, therefore, I am”
– We are connected – symbiosis
Star Wars I - symbiotic relationship
Recovering Inactive Members – 1 – Connect with people, 2 – Given responsibility
- You are most important people in making that happen
Importane of Small Groups
Love – 1 Corinthians 13
A Beautiful Mind - the end of the movie - Russel Crowe’s character gives a great speech about love - what he says about his wife’s love we can reinterpret to talk about God’s love for us
So who are you
-Person created by God
-Entrusted with special gifts that God wants you to use
-Person dearly loved by God and by the other members of His family