Summary: A message answering some questions about our adversary, Satan.
Who is the Devil?
· Show “The Devil” video clip
· Is Satan real? Is he a god? Where did he come from? Discuss
· Two out of three teens (65%) say that the devil, or Satan, is not a living being but is a symbol of evil. (2000)
· Three out of five teens (61%) agree that “if a person is generally good, or does enough good things for others during their life, they will earn a place in Heaven. (2000) - Statistics from Barna Research Group
· In recent times their has been a surge of interest in the dark side.(movies, T.V. shows, music)
· Tonight we will explore the topic of Satan, to show who is really behind all the madness.
2. Satan’s Origin
Ezekiel 28:12-15 says…
"’You were the model of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. You were in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone adorned you: ruby, topaz and emerald, chrysolite, onyx and jasper, sapphire, turquoise and beryl. Your settings and mountings were made of gold ;on the day you were created they were prepared. You were anointed as a guardian cherub, for so I ordained you. You were on the holy mount of God; you walked among the fiery stones. You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created till wickedness was found in you.
· Satan is a created being. v. 15
· This passage indicates the beauty and wisdom of this angel.
· He was anointed by God as a guardian cherub.
· Lucifer was in the highest order of the angels.
3. Satan’s Fall
Isaiah 14:12-15 says…
How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations! You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain. I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High." But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit.
· Pride filled Lucifer’s heart, he wanted to be like God.
· Satan is not a god, he is a condemned being.
· God is omnipotent (having unlimited power and authority), omnipresent (present in all places at the same time), and omniscient (knowing all things).
· Satan will never be like God
Revelation 12:7-9 says…
And there was war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven. The great dragon was hurled down-that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.
4. Satan’s Plan
Revelation 12:12 says…
But woe to the earth and the sea, because the devil has gone down to you! He is filled with fury, because he knows that his time is short."
· Satan has a plan for your life, just as God has a plan for your life.
· We saw him in the Garden of Eden deceiving Eve.
· We saw him tormenting Job.
· We still see him working in people’s lives to destroy them.
1 Peter 5:8 says…
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
· The devil knows his time is short, so he will do anything to hinder the plan of God.
· He desires to kill, steal and destroy everything in our lives.
5. Satan’s Destruction
1 John 3:8 says…
He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.
Hebrews 2:14-15 says…
by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death-that is, the devil-
· Jesus appeared so he could destroy the work of the devil
· We can overthrow the devil’s work in our own lives!
James 4:7 says…
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
· Ultimately Satan will be destroyed for good.
Revelation 20:10 says…
And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
· Have Prayer