Summary: We often lack wisdom and faith, James tells us how to grow in both.
James 1:5-8 Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without criticizing, and it will be given to him. 6 But let him ask in faith without doubting. For the doubter is like the surging sea, driven and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 An indecisive man is unstable in all his ways
The Point: We lack wisdom and faith, but God is generous to those who keep asking.
I. We lack Wisdom vs 5
A. Wisdom is applying God’s principles to life’s issues
1. Knowing the Bible does not make us right with God (Pharisees)
2. Applying the Bible shows we are right with God
3. The Bible as Information vs Transformation
B. How do we get wisdom?
1. From the source
Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.
2. By Asking
Matthew 7:7-11 Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. 9 Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? 11 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!
C. God is Generous
1. We do not deserve wisdom
2. We can not earn wisdom
II. We lack Faith vs 6-8
A. Faith is complete trust in another
1. Faith does not come natural to us
2. Faith is a gift from God
Eph. 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
B. Fear does come naturally to us
1. Fear -“faith in ourselves” all-the-while knowing we’re not in control
2. We are to replace fear with faith in Christ
1. We lack wisdom we need to ask God for wisdom
2. We lack faith we need to ask God to increase our faith