Summary: What is needed to truly worship
A. Worship is a word that is often used today but little understood. It is not hootin’ and holleren’ during a church service. It is not a warm fuzzy feeling during a song. It is not any of the things that most modern Christians do.
B. Jesus said to the devil that God alone is to be worshipped, and that man is to worship him, but do we?
C. Let’s look at three essential things that must be in us if we are to really worship. And we are supposed to worship according to what Jesus told Satan.
I. The first essential is found in Psalm 96:9
A. The beauty of holiness means that the worshipper must be holy. How is this done?
1. It begins with salvation. You cannot be holy without having Jesus as your savior.
2. Holiness is something that is born in the soul and moves to the actions and attitudes of the person.
3. God tells us to be holy because He is holy.
B. To be holy and worship in the beauty of holiness, we must change.
1. Eph 4:22-32 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; (23) And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; (24) And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. (25) Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another. (26) Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: (27) Neither give place to the devil. (28) Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth. (29) Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. (30) And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. (31) Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: (32) And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
2. It is a conscious decision that we make to stop some things and begin some new things with God’s help.
II.The second essential is found in 1 Chron. 16:29
A. It is giving God the glory due Him. What does this mean?
1. It means that we understand what he deserves as our God. All power, all knowing, all holy.
2. Look at what is said about Jesus in Rev 5:11-14 And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands; (12) Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. (13) And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever. (14) And the four beasts said, Amen. And the four and twenty elders fell down and worshipped him that liveth for ever and ever.