You Are Here
Contributed by David Spiegel on Feb 19, 2015 (message contributor)
Summary: There are times in our lives we find ourselves in difficult situations. When we would rather be anywhere else, but even in those situations God can be glorified and you might just find out you were there for a reason!
I remember as a kid traveling and stopping at rest areas that had the map of the state we were in and seeing the little arrow with the words, “You are here”.
• You can find it in mall maps
• And now most of our cell phones have that capability
Yet despite all of our technology, we can’t seem to answer the question, “Why are we here?”
• That is the most important question of all
• We can face those times when our “You are here” arrow has put us in a difficult place when we have the “Why are we here?” question settled in our hearts!
That arrow sometimes it seems places us in an impossible situation
• Life is filled with twists and turns
• Those moments of desperation where we have to stand against the impossible!
We love rooting for the underdog in books, movies and TV, we just don’t like being the underdog
• Ladies and Gentlemen, I hate to inform you but we are the underdog!
• Society is not cheering us on and in fact they are betting on us to lose!
We are in an impossible situation to overcome (on our own)
• We have a cause worth standing for
• We have a cheering section
• Hebrews 12:1(NIV)
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
• God is looking for some heroes who grasp, “Why we are here?”
• True Miracles come when we understand the why and the where!
The time has come for Christians to quit sitting in the recliner of complacency, put down the remote of contentment and take a stand!
• Just watching from the sidelines as things get out of hand
• Somewhere the thought has to come in, “Maybe I should do something about it?”
• Maybe there is a reason I find myself here in this situation?
Exodus 14:1-2 (NIV)
Then the LORD said to Moses, "Tell the Israelites to turn back and encamp near Pi Hahiroth, between Migdol and the sea. They are to encamp by the sea, directly opposite Baal Zephon.
God had just miraculously set His people free by a mighty demonstration of His power
• God had miraculously set them free from the bondage and oppression
• Here we find God’s “chosen” people as underdogs facing an impossible situation
• The enemy changed his mind and tried to pursue and intimidate them back into the old bondages
• They face their enemies marching to take them. On each side are tower of rocks and desert while on their back is the Red Sea. They are literally surrounded and they have little time to find the solution for their escape.
Calling in a military strategist they would have been told you have 3 options
• Surrender- to your situation and learn to live with it (go back into bondage)
• Muster what strength you have and fight back in defiance (You will probably die)
• Scatter and delay death/capture as long as possible. Maybe a lucky few will actually get away
But that wasn’t God’s instructions or His plan
Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still.”
God’s strategy was not what a logical military leader would suggest
• DO NOT BE AFRAID – (Keep the white flag in your pocket)
• STAND Firm – (Don’t try to fight under your own power or run and hide)
• Stand still and see the salvation of your Lord (Stand right where my “You are here” arrow has put you)
We have all had those times that we look around and realize we are the underdog
• We love reading the stories in scripture of the underdog facing impossible odds
• However in life when we are cast in that role we are not excited, fear and worry (even anger) naturally creeps in
But what if we could somehow look beyond that and rest in the knowledge that God is faithful!
(The worst the situation, the greater the miracle we get to watch)
Many times we find ourselves where we did not intend to go due to circumstances are beyond our control
• Something as simple as the ringing of a phone, a card in the mail, or a knock on the door can completely put our day and even life on a different path.
• We suddenly fall into a world of worry.