Summary: Looking at the heros of faith as they give witness tha our God is an Awesome God.
You are never too……..to see God’s Awesomeness
2 Corinthians 12: 7-10
2 Corinthians 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
During the past week my friend, Aaron McCollough of www.Freshfireministries.com and I were kicking around ideas on sermons. This morning I preached the message “My God is An Awesome God” as God had given it to me. The following message is what God gave Aaron. With his permission I am posting it as it continues the My God is Awesome theme.
In the text scripture, 2nd Corinthians 12: 7-10, we see several things:
1. Paul was either at or near the height of his earthly Spiritual understanding/grasps of God
a. (Vs. 7 teaches he had received an, “abundance of revelations.”)
2. God “gave” (Not inflicted upon him) a “Thorn in the Flesh” to keep him humble
a. (Vs. 7, “There was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.”)
3. Because God knew it was for his good, no amount of praying was going to remove it!
a. (Vs. 8, “8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.)
Then the Lord gives Paul some reassurances that we need to hear today!
1. He told him, “My grace is sufficient for thee…” (And guess what. When God declares something sufficient – it is sufficient!)
2. Then God reassures him that His …“strength is made perfect in weakness!”)
Then, in verses 9 & 10, Paul gives us the correct response to his life situation: “… Most gladly (Attitude!) therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”
Are you getting what Paul is teaching us through this scripture today?
• He is saying, the more Spiritual you become, the more likely troubles will come your way
• But don’t blame satan for all of them!
• Sometimes – God sends them – to keep you dependent upon Him!
• But he is saying – when troubles come your way – (and haven’t we all had them?) - be happy – ‘cause God uses your troubles, your trials, your infirmities, and your weaknesses, to show Himself strong in your life!
• And he is teaching us to face our life situations with joy and assurance that the things that happen to us will only make us stronger and better!
Paul taught this same principle in his first letter to the Christians at Corinth when he said in 1st Corinthians 1:27 – 29, “But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.”
And in Psalms 33:8, the Psalmist said it this way, “Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him.”
And I’m here to testify to all that will hear today, that regardless of what we may be going through; our God is an Awesome God!”
I want you to pick out somebody around you, look at them, and say, “I don’t know about your god, but my God, an Awesome God!” (I didn’t hear you! Louder!)
My God is so awesome that he told Paul: I love you so much that I am going to send a Thorn in the Flesh to keep you from getting too big for your britches – but don’t worry – MY GRACE IS SUFFICENT FOR YOU – AND THIS WEAKNESS I AM SENDING - WILL MAKE ME STRONG IN YOU!
And Paul rejoiced in his infirmity!
How awesome is that?
And I am here to tell you today that there is no situation we can face as God’s Children that He cannot/will not show His awesomeness!