- Someone once said: A Bible in the hand is worth two in the bookcase.
- And someone else said: A Bible stored in the mind is worth a dozen stored in the bottom of one’s trunk.
- Here’s a pop quiz: Which of the following aren’t in the Bible? -Cleanliness is next to godliness - God helps those who help themselves - Confession is good for the soul - We are as prone to sin as sparks fly upward - Money is the root of all evil - Honesty is the best policy. Though these are all true, or partially true, none of them is in the Bible. We have learned to treat man’s opinions with as much respect as the Bible.
- DL Moody said: “The scriptures were not given for our information but our transformation.”
- Mark Twain, not exactly a die-hard Christian, wrote these words: “Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not understand, but the passages that bother me...Continue reading this sermon illustration (Free with PRO)
Related Sermon Illustrations
Contributed by Charles R. Swindoll on Oct 17, 2004
A priest and a rabbi from local parishes were standing by the side of the road holding up signs. The rabbi’s read, "The End is Near!" The priest, on the other side of the road, held up a sign which read, "Turn before it’s too late!" They planned to hold up their signs to each passing car. "Get a ...read more
Contributed by Bart Leger on Feb 14, 2005
“But the tongue is as volatile as it is vital. It was Washington Irving who first said, ‘A sharp tongue is the only edge tool that grows keener with constant use.’ It was James, the half brother of Jesus, who first warned: The tongue is a fire…a restless evil and full of deadly poison (James ...read more
Contributed by Charles Wilkerson on Nov 14, 2003
It was a state campground near Old Walker Mine in late September. My father and I pulled in about 11:30 at night and setting up camp what I remember most was the night sky. It was black, not dark but black. The stars were clearer, huge, close and more brilliant than I’d ever seen them or could ...read more
Contributed by Dave Mcfadden on Oct 20, 2004
"The work of evangelism is never complete until the one evangelized becomes an ...read more
Contributed by Randall Newman on Oct 10, 2005
Contrary to popular belief, it wasn’t the apple on the tree that got us banished from Paradise. ...read more