Summary: Now the sixth trumpet is going to sound and another horde of demons come forth. This time there is a difference.
So far we have seen the first 5 trumpets blast. We have seen 1/3 of the vegetation of the earth destroyed, 1/3 of the water supply, the sea life, and the shipping and fishing commerce of the world. We saw the demonic-like plague of locusts. They were like scorpions, inflicting injury and agonizing pain on man but not killing man.
Now the sixth trumpet is going to sound and another horde of demons come forth. This time there is a difference. These are military demons, and they will take their toll on human life. An enormous number of the ungodly and evil of the world will die under this woe judgment. READ 12-15
The 5th, 6th, and 7th trumpets announce the woe judgments. These are the judgments that zero in on afflicting the bodies of the ungodly. We see in 13-15 that there are four fallen angels set loose. Four facts are seen about their being set loose.
1. They are set loose by a command coming from the golden altar. This is the altar of incense where the prayers of God’s people are kept. This symbolizes that God launches this judgment to vindicate the millions who will be slaughtered in the holocaust of the antichrist. The very prayers of the golden altar cry out for the name of God to be vindicated against those who laughed, mocked, and rejected God.
2. The four released angels are bound at the great river Euphrates. Note that the definite article THE is used. The four angels. They are four specific angels. Why would they come from the river Euphrates? Once again, we are not told but theologians say there are two likely reasons.
a. The head or spring of the Euphrates River flowed out of the Garden of Eden. It was there where Satan first tempted and overthrew man. The first sin of the human race took place there. It is where the first organized rebellion against God took place.
b. The Euphrates was the western boundary of the promise land that God promise to Abraham.
3. The four fallen angels were loosed and they prepared to execute a judgment upon the earth; the judgment of slaying 1/3 of the ungodly and evil population of the world. Literally millions will be slaughtered.
4. The fourth fact is seen in verse 15. God has already set the time for this judgment. There is an exact year, month, day, and even hour that this judgment is to fall upon the ungodly and evil
READ 16-19. Now we see the military horsemen and their ugly horses. 3 things are said about this demonic horde.
1. There will be an army of two hundred million. Imagine an army of two hundred million demonic spirits let loose upon the earth. This will be the army that the four fallen angels will command, an army such as the world has never seen before.
2. The riders will have breastplates that are red, blue, and yellow. These breastplates symbolize that they will be indestructible, protected and defended as they go to war against the ungodly of the world. Man will not be able to stop them.
3. The horses will be horrible and add terror upon terror on the ungodly.
- Heads like lions – ferocious, fierce.